Re: Use of PHREEQC

>Could PHREEQC be used for modeling petroleum brines (20,000 to 150,000
ppm)?
My main interest would be in speciation, SI, mixing, forward modeling and
inverse modeling.

PHREEQC has an ion-association model, which is limited to the lowest
concentrations that you mention. The program will make calculations at
higher concentrations, but I think the aqueous model would be suspect. You
really need a Pitzer (specific ion interaction) model for the high ionic
strengths. Geochemist's Workbench, EQ3/6, TEQUIL, SOLMINEQ, and PHRQPITZ
implement Pitzer models. I maintain PHRQPITZ, but I don't advocate its use.
It is old and difficult to run, although I am confident that it does the
calculations correctly.

David

David Parkhurst (dlpark@xxxxxxxx)
U.S. Geological Survey