Re: Manual calculations versus phreeqc

Can you tell me if this difference is significant and if so where I might
be
going wrong?

I would not consider the difference significant. Both numbers indicate
calcite is reacting fast enough to maintain equilibrium.

I'm not sure how you are  doing the hand calculation, but PHREEQC prints
the molalities, activities, and log activity coefficient for each aqueous
species. You should be able to compare directly to the hand calculation.

David

David Parkhurst (dlpark@xxxxxxxx)
U.S. Geological Survey
Box 25046, MS 413
Denver Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225

                      "Garrett Kilroy"
                      <kilroyg@xxxxxxx         To:      <dlpark@xxxxxxxx>
                      tcd.ie>                  cc:
                                               Subject: Manual calculations versus phreeqc
                      07/21/01 10:50
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to kilroyg

Dear Sir/Madam,
I would be very grateful if you could assist me in this query.

I am using Phreeqc to calculate calcite saturation indices for my PhD.
However, my manual calculations are coming out different to the Phreeqc
results.
As a test I used data from a hydrogeology textbook (Fetter(2001) applied
hydrogeology, p360-1) which calculates calcite saturation manually. The
textbook gives a saturation index of 0.05 while Phreeqc gives a saturation
index of -0.02.
Can you tell me if this difference is significant and if so where I might
be
going wrong?
I would welcome any suggestions.
Best regards,