Re: Aqueous species oscillations within transport calculation

Dear David
I've been running your beta test Phreeqc code as you suggested.  This
works much better...  I've attached an input file, a section of the
output file and a selected output file (k21, k21.out and k21.sel), for
advection of alkaline solution through the Boom Clay column.  I've
removed Pyrite  and Fe from the calculation to remove any redox changes
for Fe, increased the water mass to 1kg and increased the mineral
proportions accordingly.  For each kinetic phase, I've increased the
tolerance to 1e-5.  I've used the Llnl.dat database again.

However, my main concern is the selected output file.  I want to
monitor cell 32,  (i.e. the effluent coming out of the end of the
colum), this should initially be at around pH 8, increasing slowly as
the alkaline fluid advects through.  However, you can see from the
selected output file that the pH is initially recorded at pH 8.8, but
then drops to zero for several time steps, before returning to the
correct value of around pH 9, then drops to zero and so on. For example,
during transport step 9, cells 1-9 are at pH~13, but cells 10-32 at
pH=0; the pE also oscillates quite a lot over this interval.

I assume this is a problem with the new version of phreeqc, or is can
you see anything in my input file?

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply this morning.  That has been
really useful!

Best regards
Fiona Hunter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr Fiona Hunter    MRSC
Serco Assurance
Building 150
Harwell International Business Centre, Didcot
Oxfordshire OX11 0QJ
Telephone: +44 (0)1635 280418
Facsimile: +44 (0)1635 280305

****Disclaimer***********
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged material; it  is for the intended addressee(s) only.  If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or disclose such information.

Serco cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses.

The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the originator and do not necessarily represent the views of Serco.

Nothing in this e-mail shall bind Serco in any contract or obligation.

Serco Group plc.  Registered in England and Wales.  No: 2048608
Registered Office:  Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park, Bartley Way, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9UY, United Kingdom.
<<<<GWIASIG 0.07>>>>

The URL of this page is: https://wwwbrr.cr.usgs.gov/projects/GWC_coupled/phreeqc/mail/msg00428.html