Re: trouble downloading PHREEQC for Windows

Thanks for the email / program.

I am interested in using the program for determining the makeup of waters
(and precipitates) following different amounts of evaporation.  After
reading the manual (text) information it seems that this should work well up
to a certain level of salinity (stated as in the range of seawater and
above).   With this use in mind I have a fwe questions:

QUESTION 1:  would you recommend software to use at higher salinities?
EQ3/6 or something else?

Example 1 of PHREEQC determines the speciation of seawater.   The data input
corresponds to standard water quality for seawater.    I have always assumed
that this 'standard' WQ for seawater refers to the common elements in their
dissolved state.  In this instance calcium at 412.3 ppm would be assumed to
be nearly all in ionic form.     Yet the results of the simulation suggest
that about 10% of the calcium is present as CaSO4.   While nucleation of
CaSO4 can be such that initially it is dissolved I would assume that here
CaSO4 implies solids that are precipitated.

QUESTION 2:  Is this correct?   OR am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help,

Mike Mickley
Mickley & Associates
752 Gapter Road