Re: Langelier Sat Index

I'm not familiar with the Langelier Index. If you are working in a fairly
constant medium, then it probably would work. If pH is low because of iron
precipitation, you are unlikely to precipitate carbonates. If pH is neutral
or higher, pH is probably the most important quantity. The saturation index
depeneds on Ca, Alkalinity, and pH. pH is a log quantity while the
saturation index will depend on the log of Ca and alkalinity, which will
only change .3 units if for example the Ca concentration doubles. However,
if you have the data, you might as well do the speciation and calculate the
saturation index.

David

David Parkhurst (dlpark@xxxxxxxx)
U.S. Geological Survey
Box 25046, MS 413
Denver Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225

Project web page: https://wwwbrr.cr.usgs.gov/projects/GWC_coupled

                      Richard Kane
                      <kane@xxxxxxxxxx         To:      'David L Parkhurst' <dlpark@xxxxxxxx>
                      m>                       cc:
                                               Subject: Langelier Sat Index
                      07/30/02 02:40
                      PM

David,

Is the Langelier Index (LSI = pH - pHs) too simplistic for determining
calcium carbonate precipitation, when the water system also contains iron
precipitation which will tend to drive down pH, thereby using available
alkalinity for buffering (and not calcium precipitation)?

Tad Kane
Staff Scientist

The marvels of modern technology include the development of a soda can
which, when discarded, will last forever,
and a $7,000 car which, when properly cared for, will rust out in two or
three years.
-Paul Harwitz

email: kane@xxxxxxxxxxx

XDD,llc