Question about Phreeqc speciation calculation

Dear Dr. Parkhurst:

  I am Li Yang, a graduate student in the department of Geological Sciences at
the University of Alabama.I and My advisor, Dr, Donahoe, are currently working
on a project studying the leachability and sequestering mechanisms of heavy
metals from power plant ash disposal facilities. We use your geochemical
modeling code PHREEQC to set up some simulations for pore water speciation
calculation according to our analytical data. In the model output, we get a
list of minerals and their saturation indexes (S.I) with respect to the given
pore water solution. What puzzles us is that for a series of pore water of
very
similar chemical composition collected at different depth, we get different
list of minerals for each pore water. In the user's manual, it is said that
all minerals with their saturation indexes appropriate for the given solution
will be listed in the output file. We are interested in what caused such a
difference in the simulation output results. How does the program search the
database to choose the minerals to be listed for a given solution? Is there a
criteria that the program will follow to calculate the S.I of this mineral
over another for a given solution?

  Thanks for your time! We are looking forward to your reply!

Li Yang

Li Yang
Department of Geological Sciences
University of Alabama