Re: PHREEQC

Dear David,
	Thank you for your response and offer to look at the file. This file
contains data from the most upstream site (solution 1) and the most
downstream site (solution 2). I thank you for any assistance you can give
me. I realize WATEQ4F and PHREEQC databases do not contain Cr. I haven't
decided what to do about Cr yet but I left it in the file anyway. The only
harm it seems to cause is that I get a warning message telling me it is not
found in the database.
	Jim asked why I chose inverse modeling instead of solution/solubility. As
I told him, results of the inverse modeling examples in the PHREEQC manual
were easier for me (a biology background not a chemistry one) to interpret
and understand in relation to the questions I am trying to answer. If
another model is better suited to identifying precipitation/dissolution of
metals, or will give me the same information in a different way, I am more
than willing to listen to your advice. In fact, I have been looking at the
solution species results, but I am not sure how to take the output
(molality, activity, saturation indices and solubility constants) and say,
for example, Cd precipitates at these sites in the river, Zn precipitates
at these sites, etc.
Thank you again!
Becky

Parkhurst/WRD/USGS/DOI@xxxx
> [...]

>solubility calculations.
>
>On another subject, I noticed one of the metals on your list is Cr. Since I
>am presently developing a Cr section to the wateq4f model I wonder what
>your sources are for thermodynamic data and reactions for Cr?
>
>I wish you success in getting your modeling problems resolved. Please let
>me know if you think I can assist you further.
>Jim
>=====================================
>James W Ball
>USGS/WRD
>3215 Marine Street, Suite E-127
>Boulder, CO 80303-1066
>
>jwball@xxxxxxxx
>voice:       303-541-3035
>fax:           303-447-2505
>=====================================
>

>                    rebecca evans

>                    <evansre@xxxx        To:     jwball@xxxxxxxx

>                    l.uc.edu>            cc:

>                    03/12/2001

>                    06:51 PM

>Dear Mr. Ball,
>           I am a graduate student working on the Little Miami River in
>Ohio. My work
>involves studying the association between water quality, water chemistry
>and bioaccumulation in benthic algae. My committee suggested I use a
>chemical speciation model to predict trace metal dissolution/precipitation
>as a lead in to developing hypotheses about what metals I might expect to
>accumulate and at what sites in the river.
>Here's what I have:
>Temp., pH, Oxygen, Total P, Al, Ca, Cd, Cl, Cr, Cu, Fe, K, Mg, Mn, Na, Se,
>Si, SO4, and Zn at eleven sites over the length of 105 miles.
>
>           I downloaded PHREEQC along with the WATEQ4f database. I have
>been trying
>to run inverse modeling (I chose this one because it seemed to best fit
>what I am trying to do). The program gets through the solution species and
>starts inverse modeling. It does not give me any error messages and does
>not appear to be "locked up." The log file is reported as "in use" when I
>try to open it in MS Word. However, after as long as 4 hours (when I stop
>the program by hitting the "done" icon) all that shows up in the log file
>and the output file is the solution species data for each site (currently I
>have only two sites entered until I figure out how to operate this
>correctly), and the line: "beginning of inverse modeling calcualtions."
>           I'm pretty sure the solutions balance and there are no input
>errors
>because initially I had those problems and the PHREEQC program notified me
>with error messages. However, now it seems to be working, I'm just not sure
>why I am not getting a series of results in the inverse modeling part.
>           My questions are these: 1) Is the program working and just
>something I
>have to let run for more than four hours? 2) If not, any suggestions? 3)
>Would another PHREEQC model be better for the questions I am trying to

SOLUTION 1 RM NINETYNINE
temp	18.230
units	mg/L
O(0)	11.8