Re: Questions regarding some PHREEQC output

With this message, I am forwarding your questions to the author of PHREEQC.

With respect to documentation for PHRQPITZ, see
https://water.usgs.gov/software/help/documentation/ for information
on how to order:

       Plummer, L.N., Parkhurst, D.L., Fleming, G.W., and Dunkle, S.A.,
          1988, A computer program incorporating Pitzer's equations for
          calculation of geochemical reactions in brines:  U.S. Geological
          Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 88-4153, 310 p.

There is an additional article on PHRQPITZ which should be available in
many libraries:

       Plummer, L.N., and Parkhurst, D.L., 1990, Application of the Pitzer
          Equations to the PHREEQE geochemical model, in Melchior, D.C.,
          and Bassett, R.L., eds., Chemical modeling of aqueous systems II:
          American Chemical Society Symposium Series 416, Washington, D.C.,
          American Chemical Society, p. 128-137.

Michele Crouse
U.S. Geological Survey
Hydrologic Analysis Software Support Program
h2osoft@xxxxxxxx

                      "Natschke,
                      David"                   To:      h2osoft@xxxxxxxx
                      <DNatschke@xxxxx         cc:
                      is-us.com>               Subject: Questions regarding some PHREEQC
                                               output
                      07/23/01 01:03
                      p.m.

Hello, again,
I am writing this time regarding PHREEQC rather than PHRQPITZ
1.  I have a data set for injection well disposal.  Two aqueous streams are
mixed together and then injected.  In the attached file,
CoolingTowerMixA.out, the calculated errors for solution 2 are rather
large,
>20%.  Does a calculated error this large suggest problems?  I am
particularly concerned with the high calculated pH value.  Were this to be
significantly in error all of the calculated saturation indices would be in
question.

2. later on in the process I will be equilibrating the mixed stream with
the
existing groundwater, which has a TDS of 34,000 mg/L with chloride 18,000
mg/L and sodium of 11,000 mg/L
Will PHREEQC handle this groundwater?  As opposed to PHRQPITZ?  Without
documentation for PHRQPITZ PHREEQC is proving a lot easier to deal with.