Use of Programming for Aqueous GeoChemical Modeling/Phreeqc

----- Forwarded by Michele Y Crouse/WRD/USGS/DOI on 10/02/01 11:57 a.m.
-----

                      "Gamble, S. -
                      Carlsbad R & D"          To:      h2osoft@xxxxxxxx
                      <sagamble@xxxxxx         cc:
                      bal.com>                 Subject: Use of Programming for Aqueous
                                               GeoChemical Modeling/Phreeqc
                      10/02/01 11:15
                      a.m.

Sir,
I have a need to learn and apply phase chemistry and mass balances to the
system K, Mg, Na, Cl, SO4, H2O at various temperatures and various %
Saturation's for KCl & NaCl. This includes evaporation schemes to recover
salts from brines. At weaker concentrations I may need to be concerned with
Ca, but most of the work will be done at concentrations where Ca is
essentially insoluble.

I have experience in simple systems like K-Na-Cl-H2O but the above complex
system I have difficulty with. With my limited knowledge I believe the
fields I will have interested in will be glaserite(aphthitalite),
schoenite(picromerite), leonite, kainite, and carnallite in addition to the
KCl and NaCl. Will Web-Phreeqc or another commercial version do this work?

Steve Gamble
IMC Potash Carlsbad Inc.
1361 Potash Mines Rd
PO Box 71