RE: PHREEQC questions

David,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have continued to read the manual and try
some examples - this program is really neat! Thanks for your efforts.

I do have some more questions. First, I do not seem to have N(-3) in the
database that came with the program but have something defined for Amm
(which I'm guessing is ammonia), and after performing an equilibrium
reaction in which the final pE came out to be 9.3, I still had a lot of Amm
- so it appears I have some kinetically- modified, non equilibrium version
of PHREEQC. I downloaded it two days ago, perhaps the wrong version has been
saved on the server?

Second, I've been trying to model my respirometry experiment in a manner
similar to example 7 from your manual. My input is pasted below. In my
experiments I saw that under sulfate reducing conditions, the pH rose to
8.7. The solution input is what I started with, and I believe that the gas
phase contains all the components that would possibly be involved. The phase
I know the least about is the solid sediment material that I used as
innoculum.  Does the decreasing pH, as opposed to my observed increasing pH,
infer that this contradiction is due to some occurence with the solid phase?

Sincerely,
Daniel LaRiviere

Title		Respirometry Experiment - Decompose organic matter

Solution 1	Synthetic San Jac Solution

	temp 		25.0
	units		ppm
	water		0.3  #0.3 kg of water