Re: Hi from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

> I need a copy of your report: "User's Guide to Phreeqc (Version 2")", by
David L. Parkhurst and C. J.. Appelo, Water-Resources Investigations
Report 99-4259, USGS, Denver, Colorado (1999) and the most recent
version of the computer program to calculate equilibrium composition in
aquatic systems.

I have sent a copy by mail. PDF version and the program distribution are
available from https://wwwbrr.cr.usgs.gov/projects/GWC_coupled/phreeqc.

> We are interested in predicting composition of the release water
recovered from the oil sands tailings (originally 20 % solids, of which
50 % fines, i.e. smaller than 44 micron).  After chemically treating the
oil sands tailings with Ca(OH)2 and CO2, the sludge (tailings) is
thickened using a suitable thickener.  Both the chemical treatment and
the thickener are invented by Apex Engineering Inc. of Edmonton,
Alberta, Canada.

> The release water composition is an important element of the whole
process.  This water has to be treated (with CO2 and/or Na2CO3) so that
its Ca2+ ion concentration must be reduced to an acceptable level.  Ca2+
ions in the water is a problem, because it reduces the bitumen
extraction efficiency of the extraction (hot water or low energy)
process.

It should be fairly easy to model the aqueous reactions of adding CO2,
Na2CO3 and Calcite precipitation. The interactions with the solids are not
so clear, possibly exchange with the clays, and other unknown reactions
with the surfaces of the solids and the organic residues.

David

David Parkhurst (dlpark@xxxxxxxx)
U.S. Geological Survey
Box 25046, MS 413