Re: Phreeqci 2.6 charge balance question

Hello,

Thanks for your response below, it was very helpful and I've been able to
run the program successfully since.  However, now I'm trying to use the
ADVECTION keyword to simulate acid mine drainage flow through a bioreactor
using sulfate reducing bacteria.  I've tried a 10 cell simulation with a
simple organic addition rate (as CH2O), with 10 shifts.

What happens is, as the water flows through, various metals are precipitated
as they should (Cu, Zn, Cd as sulfides, Al as hydroxide).  But eventually
towards the end of the reactor the Cu/Zn/Cd concentrations increase slightly
which should not happen - they should either decrease or stay the same, not
increase.  I have the equlibrium phase amounts set to zero, so that they
should not dissolve but can precipitate if supersaturated.  It seems like
during the advection sequence, the phase amounts for those metals get set to
nonzero amounts, so that if conditions dictate they dissolve slightly.

Is there a way to get around that with the advection keyword, to have each
shift contact equilibrium phases with zero amounts?  What I'm trying to do
is predict water quality change as it flows through the reactor.

Thank you,
Brian T. Park, P.E.
Senior Process Engineer
MSE Technology Applications, Inc.