RE: Completion of PhreeqcI

> 1)  In example 9 the oxidation of Fe(II), could not the decoupling of
Fe(III) and Fe (II) be more simply done by removing the Fe(III) to Fe(II)
relationship instead of redefining variables.

Perhaps if I had been more clever at the time of development, but no, the
only way is to rewrite the database so that Fe(2) and Fe(3) are not part of
the same "element".

> 2)  This is actually my main question.  I am interested in exploring the
role of the solid phases during kinetic reaction.  Again using example 9,
as
the reaction progresses, the solution very quickly becomes super saturated
with goethite.  Is there some way of using basic to get the goethite to
precipitate out as the SI is reached.  Sort of IF SI > 0 THEN goethite
precips.  Setting the system in equilibration with goethite does not really
work because it will force this to happen, very early in the evolution of
the reaction before enough Fe(III) is produced.

If you define goethite in EQUILIBRIUM_PHASES, but give it 0.0 moles, then
it can not dissolve. It will precipitate when supersaturated. However, once
it has precipitated, it can redissolve. There is no way to force goethite
only to precipitate and never to dissolve. I have added a capability to
dissolve only (EQUILIBRIUM_PHASES), and I should have included precipitate
only, but have not.

David

David Parkhurst (dlpark@xxxxxxxx)
U.S. Geological Survey
Box 25046, MS 413
Denver Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225

                      "David T. Long"
                      <long@xxxxxxx>           To:      "David L Parkhurst" <dlpark@xxxxxxxx>
                                               cc:
                      10/24/01 10:50           Subject: RE: Completion of PhreeqcI
                      AM

Hi Dave,

The new window version of PhreeqcI is fantastic.  I have used the older
version, but this is a significant step up.  Great work from you and your
team.

So I have two questions, I know you are busy, but if you can help with

1)  In example 9 the oxidation of Fe(II), could not the decoupling of
Fe(III) and Fe (II) be more simply done by removing the Fe(III) to Fe(II)
relationship instead of redefining variables.

2)  This is actually my main question.  I am interested in exploring the
role of the solid phases during kinetic reaction.  Again using example 9,
as
the reaction progresses, the solution very quickly becomes super saturated
with goethite.  Is there some way of using basic to get the goethite to
precipitate out as the SI is reached.  Sort of IF SI > 0 THEN goethite
precips.  Setting the system in equilibration with goethite does not really
work because it will force this to happen, very early in the evolution of
the reaction before enough Fe(III) is produced.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

dave

____________________________________
David T. Long