Phreeqc Alkalinity Question

Dr. Parkhurst,

I have a question regarding how PhreeqC calculates alkalinity.  I am running
a simple speciation calculation on a low pH mine water sample.  When I enter
the solution composition without indicating a value for alkalinity, Phreeqc
calculates a negative alkalinity (-2.551e-3 eq/kg).  If I assign a
concentration of zero alkalinity, the alkalinity result is the same.  If
however I specify a nominal amount of alkalinity (0.0001 mg/L as CaCO3),
Phreeqc adds a significant amount of total carbon to the solution (5.85
mol/kg).  The carbon is essentially all present as H2CO3 with a minor amount
of HCO3- (2.431e-3 mol).

Is a negative value for alkalinity valid?  Conceptually is this equivalent
to the amount of acidity associated with the sample?   This water quality is
to be mixed with other waters to simulate the water quality of a pit lake.
Will inclusion of a negative alkalinity make the results invalid?

Thank-you for your time,

Cheryl Ross

PhreeqC input file

	SOLUTION	6
#	SOLUTION	surficial run-in to the pit from the escombrera
interior
	Temp	10
	pH	2.81
	pe	5.1		# assume 300 mV